Upon receiving an offer to teach abroad:
1-Congratulations! Welcome to the emotional rollercoaster trumped only by being married and having children!
2-Please remember that the Offer Letter that you are asked to sign, date and initial is NOT a contract. Lesson learned.
3-DO NOT QUIT YOUR JOB. Lesson learned through the sad stories of teachers hired for January 2016, only to be left in the dark until April 2016 that their departure was pushed to August 2016. Then, in some cases, the offers were cancelled. DO NOT QUIT YOUR JOB until you have a plane ticket. Even then, try to take a leave of absence and not resign.
4-DO NOT sell everything! I am very fortunate to have found out I am not going to be moving to the UAE before selling my beloved bed and plush couch. Two pieces of furniture getting a lot of use since having my offer rescinded.
It has been 2 weeks since we got the sudden letter of rejection. Words of encouragement to “keep trying!” and “don’t give up!” have been pouring in until about a day ago. Then everyone returned to their regular lives. Except us.
I don’t mean to sound defeatist…I want to give you a positive proverb or two on keeping the faith, but it’s not looking too bright. My Teach Away Rep seems to have dropped me. She doesn’t respond to my emails so I doubt she is being proactive in finding me a new position. Me, on the other hand, I’ve been applying, emailing, scanning, networking, searching, following-up, phone interviewing, and skyping every hour of every day (and sometimes in my sleep – some of these recruiters are located around the world!)
But nothing is coming up. I think I’ve put in all the time I can to this. This weekend I took up binge watching “Lost” because that’s exactly how I feel.
I’ve got 3 timelines to consider:
June 28th – School ends. I need to spend some time packing up my room. Or not.
June 30th – We are moving out of our townhouse. Yep, we are going to be one of those homeless Abu Dhabi Hopefuls 2016. We gave our landlords notice back in May and now they’ve gone and sold the house! Good for them, bad for us. I have no idea where we are moving to!
September 8th – School Starts up again here in NYC. In 9 weeks we need to find a new place to live and decide if we even want to stay in New York. We could move to Virginia/DC area or move to North Carolina. We have family in each of these areas willing to help us transition into a new life. Or do we decide to stay in New York? What would Suze Orman say?
So, while I’m not giving up, I’m not feeling so NYC Teacher Abroad anymore. I’m feeling like NYC-Teacher-Stays-Her-A$$-In-The-US. At least for one more year.
5 – Make peace with your decision and keep going for it.